This dish is a severely underrated Mexican dish that I can eat alllll the time! It's quick to make, it's refreshing and delicious! If you like ceviche, then you will definitely like Aguachile!
For this recipes you will need to use raw shrimp and cute it butterfly style to open up the shrimp that will allow it to "cook" in the lime juice. Here's what you'll need:
1-1.5 lb of raw shrimp
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 cucumbers, cut in "crescent moons" (Keep the peels!)
1 bunch of cilantro
1-2 jalapeño, seeded
1 Serrano peppers, seeded
3 garlic cloves
3-5 limes, juiced
Salt & Pepper TT
Tortilla Chips or Tostadas for serving
1. In a large glass bowl or dish, add the raw shrimp and make sure the shrimp have the head, tail, outer shell removed and de-vine. You can also buy shrimp that is already cleaned and skip this step!
2. Using a knife, butterfly the shrimp (To butterfly a shrimp means to do a lengthwise incision on the front or back of the shrimp in a symmetrical way.)
3. Once all the shrimp have been cut into the butterfly shape, place the shrimp in a large dish that can hold liquid such as glass or plastic (aluminum bowls can warp the flavor of this dish) and add salt and pepper to the shrimp.
4. Next, take 3-5 limes (or however many will cover the shrimp in lime juice) and squeeze into the large dish until all the shrimp are covered in lime juice. Then let the shrimp "cook" in the lime juice for at least 20 minutes.
5. While the shrimp are "cooking" in the lime juice, prepare the onions to add the the Aguachiles mix. Cut the onions into thin slices and set aside.
6. Then peel the cucumber and save about half of the cucumber peels for the sauce. Cut the cucumber lengthwise and using a spoon, scoop out the seeds from the cucumbers, then slice the cucumbers; this will give the crescent moon shapes for the cucumbers.
7. Using 1/2 of the cilantro bunch, chop off the stems and ball up the leaves into a ball to get a fine dice.
8. Prepare the Aguachile (magic) sauce. In a blender, add remaining half of the cilantro, seeded jalapeño, seeded Serrano pepper, garlic cloves, about half the peel of a cucumber, juice of 1 lime, a pinch of salt & blend.
9. Once the shrimp has marinated, add the sliced red onions, moon-shaped cucumbers and diced cilantro to the shrimp. Then add the green Aguachiles salsa and stir everything together until it's evenly mixed.
10. Enjoy on a tostada or tortilla chips and top with sliced avocados!